West Hallam Village Pre-School


Funding for 2 year olds

Your 2-year-old can get free childcare if you live in England and get one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments
  • tax credits, and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
  • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • 2-year-olds can also get free childcare if they:
  • have a statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • get Disability Living Allowance
  • have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangements order



Funding for 3 and 4 year olds

At present all 3 and 4 year old children in Derbyshire are entitled to up to 15 hours a week free early education. Many any working families have been able to get up to 30 hours of funded childcare a week.


Eligibility for 30 hours funded childcare

  • To be eligible families must meet the following criteria:
  • both parents must be working (or the sole parent in a single parent family)
  • each parent must have a weekly income equivalent to 16 hours at national minimum or living wage
  • neither parent has an income of more than £100,000 per year
  • Parents do not necessarily need to actually work 16 hours a week, but earnings must be equal to 16 hours of work per week at the national minimum wage. This includes parents on zero hours contracts who meet the criteria.



Families where one parent does not work (or neither parent works) will not usually be eligible. In some circumstances a family may be eligible where both parents are employed but one (or both parents) is temporarily away from the workplace on maternity or paternity leave, adoption leave or statutory sick pay or where one parent is employed and one parent has substantial caring responsibilities or is disabled or incapacitated. These are both based on receipt of specific benefits.

Eligibility will be assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

If you meet the eligibility criteria you should be able to take up a place if:

you have a valid eligibility code from HMRC

it is the term after your child's third birthday, or later until the child reaches compulsory school age

you received your code from HMRC prior to the term in which you would like your child to start their 30 hours place


Don't forget even if you are not entitled to the 30 hours extended entitlement your child will still be entitled to the universal 15 hours of free early education.